International students: Financing your studies

Do you have sufficient financial resources or do you need a scholarship? Get answers to this and other important topics concerning cost of living in Stuttgart.
[Photo: pixabay]

Cost of living

You should expect the costs of living in Stuttgart to be high. This table is created to help you with planning on the necessary funds you should provide for your stay.

Rent (per month)

between approx. EUR 350 and EUR 500

Health insurance (per month)

approx. EUR 120 (compulsory for all students) 

Broadcasting fee (per month)

EUR 18,36 (compulsory for all households in Germany)

Semesterticket (per semester)

approx. EUR 210 (for public transport) 

Semester contribution (per semester)

approx. EUR 100 (exchange students)
approx. EUR 170 (degree seeking students)

Tuition fee (per semester)

EUR 1.500 (for degree seeking students from non-EU countries) 

Additional cost (per month)

personal expenses like food, entertainment, sports etc.

Proof of sufficient financial resources

Should you have to apply for a visa or a residence permit you will need to prove that you can afford a minimum of EUR 934 per month for the length of your stay. If you stay for more than a year you will need a proof for at least 12 months. This proof can take the form of a savings account statement, confirmation of available credit balance, a proof of a stipend, scholarship or blocked account. In case a blocked account is necessary, you will receive further information from the German embassy of your home country. The University of Stuttgart is not in the position to offer financial aid for covering living expenses.

Finding a scholarship

The University of Stuttgart does not offer scholarships for degree studies. Scholarships by other organizations can be found in the database of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) and on the website of career start BW. Various political foundations also award scholarships to international students, however, the application process usually requires good command of German. The Foreign Office offers an overview of possible scholarships. Please start looking for a scholarship while still in your home country. Deadlines for scholarships might be earlier than the deadline for applications at the University of Stuttgart.

If you are already studying in a higher semester at the University of Stuttgart and you are in a temporary financial emergency, there are the following options for financial assistance:

The University of Stuttgart offers scholarships funded by the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) to advanced students. Priority is given to qualified, highly-committed international degree and doctoral students with demonstrated potential for completing their studies at the University of Stuttgart. The scholarship can be awarded for up to six months.

There are two types of DAAD STIBET I scholarships:

Who can apply?
International students who

  • will receive their degree from the University of Stuttgart (BSc, MSc or PhD)
  • have received good grades so far
  • are not recipients of any other full scholarships from a German or foreign organization
  • are in the final stage of their studies

Application deadlines:

  • February 15, 2024
  • June 30, 2024
  • November 15, 2024
How to apply:
  • If you would like to apply, please send an e-mail to the International Office (
  • Please submit all required documents (as listed in the PDFs above) to the International Office

Beihilfe is an emergency support for students from the University of Stuttgart sponsored by the Ministry of Science, Research and Arts (Ministerium für Wissenschaft, Forschung und Kunst Baden-Württemberg). The amount of Beihilfe is determined on a case-by-case basis. A senate committee has the final say on all awards.

Who can apply?
Degree-seeking students who

  • expect to graduate from the University of Stuttgart
  • are currently enrolled in at least their third or fourth semester (Bachelor's or Master’s degree)
  • find themselves in a temporary situation of financial emergency

Regular application deadline:

  • February 15, 2024
  • June 30, 2024
  • November 15, 2024

How to apply:
If you would like to apply for Beihilfe, please send an e-mail to the International Office.

The University of Stuttgart offers short-term scholarships from an emergency fund for enrolled international students who are suddenly  experiencing financial difficulties. The scholarships are funded by donations from the Christian Bürkert Foundation.

Unforseen armed conflicts, natural disasters, inflation and currency fluctuations can cause financial support from the country of origin to suddenly stop. Likewise, illness, parental unemployment or the expiration of project funds may contribute to students or doctoral candidates being unable to finance their livelihood.

The emergency fund is aimed at qualified and particularly committed international students as well as at doctoral candidates seeking a degree at the University of Stuttgart.

The scholarship duration and amount are based on the temporary financial needs of the applicants and are determined by a selection committee of the International Office.

Who can apply?

International students who

  • are pursuing a degree at the University of Stuttgart and expect to graduate successfully.
  • are suddenly confronted with serious, unexpected short-term financial difficulties.
Application deadline
  • February 15, 2024
  • June 30, 2024
  • November 15, 2024
How to apply?

The application forms are only available after consultation at the International Office, please send an e-mail.

Working while studying

Given the high academic workload, financing your studies by working only is not encouraged. If you are an EU citizen you can work without any restrictions in Germany just like Germans do. You will only need to take out a German health insurance. If you are from a non-EU country you will obtain a restricted work permit which must be stated explicitly in your passport. When you receive your residence permit, make sure it also reflects your work permit information. For more on this topic, see our web page on working.

Getting insured

All degree students as well as exchange students from non-EU countries are required to take out a compulsory student health insurance as prescribed by German law. Exchange students from EU countries with an European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) are exempted from this requirement as long as you don't work in Germany. 

Carrying personal liability insurance (Haftpflichtversicherung) is not compulsory in Germany. However, we highly recommend that you purchase one. It protects you against liability for causing injury to others or damaging their property, such as a rental apartment, a laboratory, or your university institute, to include even the loss of keys, for example. These policies typically cost between EUR 30 to EUR 80 per year, depending on your family status. More information on insurances. 

This image shows International Office

International Office

To the top of the page