Physical and mental health care

The University of Stuttgart offers support in finding medical treatment. Do you have a physical or mental concern? We help you find the right place for assistance.

In an emergency, please dial the following number:


Medical care

German universities do not provide medical service on campus. Students with EHIC or a German health insurance from a state health insurance provider have a free choice among doctors registered by the health insurance company. If you have private health insurance, please make yourself familiar with the special conditions which may apply to you.

Doctors, dentists, and hospitals can be found online. You can also receive information on doctors who speak languages other than Ger­man by choosing your language in the search criteria Fremdsprache.

Time for an appointment or is it more urgent?

Medical on-call service:

116 117

Generally speaking, you have to make an appointment to see a doctor when you are ill. Some general practitioners may have open office hours.
If you have health problems outside of the doctors regular opening hours and the visit cannot be postponed until the next (working) day, it is possible to call the medical on-call service 116 117.

In case of a serious illness at night or on weekends you can go to the Stuttgart doctor's Emergency Medical Service at the Marienhospital (Böheimstraße 37, 70199 Stuttgart). These options are for non-life-threatening conditions only.

Is it an emergency?

In case of a serious accident or a life-threatening emergency please call 112 immediately! The emergency service operates 24/7 and reaches patients within minutes.

What do I need in order to be treated?

In order to receive treatment you need to either present your health insurance card from one of the state health insurance providers (AOK, TK, Barmer or DAK), your EHIC, or show the certificate from your private health insurance company. The costs for medical treatment will be paid directly to the doctor/hospital by your state health insurance provider. Therefore, the visit at a doctor/hospital is free for you. Private insurances have a different payment system. Usually you will have to pay the bill first and ask for reim­bursement at the company. Make yourself familiar with the specific regulations of your own health insurance before you need to see a doctor.

Where can I receive my medication?

Prescribed medication can be picked up at any pharmacy/chemist’s (Apotheke). If you have mandatory state health insurance you usually have to pay a contribution be­tween EUR 5 and EUR 10 for each prescription. In case of private insurance, the com­pany might also pay for all prescribed medication (check your contract).

Do I receive statutory accident insurance?

Every enrolled student is statutorily covered by accident insurance free of charge. The coverage applies

  • when attending lectures and seminars,
  • during other activities run by the university such as visits, workshops, sports courses, using the university library
  • when participating in trips organized by the university, including those abroad
  • when participating in student council or stuvus activities

If you have an accident during one of these occasions, please address the Admis­sions Office as soon as possible. You can receive further information on this topic from the Studierendenwerk Stuttgart.

Psychological care

If you have a psychological concern, it is possible to receive assistance from the psychological counseling services(Psychologische Beratungsstelle des Studierendenwerk) free of charge.
For appointments please call: +711 95 74-480 (Mon–Fri: 1:30 pm –2:30 pm)

Please do not hesitate to contact the International Office if you need medical or psychological assistance. Anything you tell us will be treated confidentially. Togeth­er we can always find a way!


This image shows International Office

International Office

To the top of the page