Our male and female intercultural mentors assist international students who are in the first semester of their Bachelor’s or Master’s studies. Mentors and mentees meet at least twice a month. Both gain from the mentoring relationship by learning about each other’s culture and developing intercultural skills.
Our mentors help their mentees
- to organize their studies
- to get to know the campus
- to get to know the city
- to learn the German language and understand the German culture
Mentors are prepared for their role through introductory seminars and workshops and receive the program coordinators’ support during the semester.
The leisure time program includes social round tables and field trips as well as cultural and sporting events.
We are looking forward to meeting you!
… committed students who are in their 3rd semester or above and
- have time for meeting their mentees at least twice a month
- have a very good knowledge of the German language
- know the University of Stuttgart and its study programs very well
- are interested in meeting people from other cultures
- show empathy
- are willing to attend a two-day introductory seminar
- the chance to meet young people from other cultures and to help them get started with their studies at the University of Stuttgart
- a training in intercultural communication as part of the introductory seminar
- interesting workshops
- the opportunity to gain teaching experience as an academic tutor
- experience which will be taken into consideration by the International Office when awarding places to study abroad
- credit points (interdisciplinary key skill) for your involvement as a mentor
- a certificate of attendance or a certificate of intercultural skills
- Active participation in a cool university program
- The chance to do volunteer work
- Intercultural, communications and social skills
- Learning about new cultures and point of views
- Reflecting on your own culture
- An international network and contacts
- New friends throughout Germany and the world
The three pillars of the Cross Cultural Mentoring Program
The most important pillar of the program is the one-on-one relationship between the international mentee and his/her mentor. Mentor and mentee meet at least twice a month. Mentors support their mentees with all questions touching their studies, getting oriented at the University, and social integration into life in Germany. The mentee in turn will introduce his/her mentor to his/her own culture and perspective on Germany.
The mentees take part in a one-day introduction seminar at the beginning of the semester.
The program coordinators prepare the mentors for their task in a two-day introductory seminar at the start of the semester.
During the semester, the program coordinators also serve as on-call counseling resources.
The mentoring activity counts as an interdisciplinary key skill (social competence) with three credit points toward the mentor’s studies. It also increases mentors’ chances of gaining a place to study abroad.
All mentors receive a certificate of participation upon turning in their final report.
Every semester we offer participants of the Cross Cultural Mentoring Program a variety of free workshops.
To support the mentees regarding their language, academic and personal skills, ours mentors offer a variety of free courses (which can also be taken by mentors, of course). The courses reflect the interests, know how and knowledge of our mentors and therefore change every semester. Usually German, foreign languages and programming languages however are on offer each semester.
Summer Semester 2019
Course application is now possible. Courses start Monday, April 29th.
Vegetarian Cooking Group, 05:30 pm THIS COURSE IS FULL!
Bouldering for Beginners, 05:00 pm
German Conversation I, 06:00 - 07:30 pm
German Grammar, 05:30 - 07:00 pm
Programming in C, 06:00 - 07:30 pm
Photography, 03:45 - 05:15 pm
German Conversation II, 05:30 - 07:00 pm
Creative Watercolour Painting, 07:00 - 08:00 pm
Free Hand Drawing, 03:30 - 05:30 pm
Programming in Python, 06:00 - 07:30 pm THIS COURSE IS FULL!
Mentoring Band - Everybody Speaks Music, 07:00 - 08:30 pm
A varied social program with regular round table meetups, excursions, as well as sports and cultural events complement our stable of in-house events (our kick-off event, international evenings, christmas parties and many more!).
All participants are encouraged to make suggestions and to organize events themselves.
Objectives of the Cross Cultural Mentoring Program
- Intercultural exchange between German and international students
- Social integration and participation of international students in university life
- Hands-on advice and support for international students
- Improvement of international students’ academic performance and German language skills
- Reduction of the drop-out rate of international students
- Volunteering opportunities
- Promoting intercultural, social, and communicative skills