The Intercultural Mentoring Program is designed to help you with questions about
- your studies
- the university
- life in Germany
- German language and culture
Other students accompany and support mentees for an entire semester as personal mentors. The mentoring program helps you make friends and also offers:
- a fascinating workshop on life in Germany with intercultural training content (mandatory for participation)
- a leisure time program with reserved pub tables, excursions, cultural and sports activities (during the pandemic we offer most of the events online)
- workshops on interesting topics
We are looking forward to meeting you!
The registration for the summer semester 2021 is open now. In the summer semester, there will be a hybrid form of the mentoring program with online and on-site events (as soon as they are possible). This means you can also register if you begin your studies in the summer semester 2021 but are still in your home country and unsure when you will arrive in Stuttgart.
Because future funding for the program is still uncertain at this moment, registration is subject to change.
Please write us an e-mail in case of questions.
… interested international students who
- plan to complete their entire Bachelor’s or Master’s studies at the University of Stuttgart (full-time program)
- are just beginning their studies or are experiencing difficulties studying (second semesters also qualify)
- have time to meet at least twice a month with the mentor
- are interested in meeting people from other cultures
- have time for a one-day introductory workshop and the social program (mostly online due to the pandemic)
- a mentor who will be there for you during an entire semester to help with any questions
- the chance to speak lots of German and understand it better
- the chance to get to know German culture intensively
- an enjoyable introductory workshop with intercultural training content (online due to the pandemic)
- other interesting workshops (online)
- a great leisure time program (mostly online during the pandemic)
- certificate of participation (after sending in a final report)
- Quickly accustomed to the University of Stuttgart
- Support for all questions on how to organize your studies
- Help with courses
- Integration into German society and life in Stuttgart
- New friends throughout Germany and the world
- Active participation in a cool university program
- The chance to do volunteer work
- Intercultural communications and social skills
- Learning about new cultures and point of views
- Reflecting on your own culture
The three pillars of the Intercultural Mentoring Program
The most important pillar of the program is the one-on-one relationship between the international mentee and his/her mentor. Mentor and mentee meet at least twice a month. Mentors support their mentees with all questions touching their studies, getting oriented at the university, and social integration into life in Germany. The mentee in turn will introduce his/her mentor to his/her own culture and perspective on Germany.
The mentees take part in a one-day introduction seminar at the beginning of the semester.
The program coordinators prepare the mentors for their task in a two-day introductory seminar at the start of the semester.
During the semester, the program coordinators also serve as on-call counseling resources.
All participants receive a certificate of participation upon turning in their final report.
Workshops and courses
Every semester we offer participants of the Intercultural Mentoring Program a variety of free workshops. The workshops will be announced via e-mail.
To support the mentees regarding their language, academic and personal skills, ours mentors offer a variety of free courses (which can also be taken by mentors, of course). The courses reflect the interests, know how and knowledge of our mentors and therefore change every semester. Usually German, foreign languages and programming languages however are on offer each semester.
A varied social program with regular round table meetups, excursions, as well as sports and cultural events complement our stable of in-house events (our kick-off event, international evenings, christmas parties and many more!). This semester they be held online due to the corona pandemic.
All participants are encouraged to make suggestions and to organize events themselves.
I am impressed by how friendly all the mentors are and how attentive and engaged in the program. The classes I took helped me a great deal at a time when I had both course and language difficulties.Mihaela Kovacheska, mentee, fall semester 15/16
Objectives of the Intercultural Mentoring Program
- Intercultural exchange between German and international students
- Social integration and participation of international students in university life
- Hands-on advice and support for international students
- Improvement of international students’ academic performance and German language skills
- Reduction of the drop-out rate of international students
- Volunteering opportunities
- Promoting intercultural, social, and communicative skills