An experienced student will accompany you during your first semester in Stuttgart and support you with:
- Study organisation
- Orientation on campus
- Getting to know Stuttgart
- Practicing German and learning about German culture
Other students accompany and support mentees for an entire semester as personal mentors. The mentoring program helps you make friends and also offers:
- a fascinating workshop on life in Germany with intercultural training content (mandatory for participation)
- a leisure time program with reserved pub tables, excursions, cultural and sports activities (during the pandemic we offer most of the events online)
- workshops on interesting topics
We are looking forward to meeting you!
The registration for the summer semester 2021 is open now. In the summer semester, there will be a hybrid form of the mentoring program with online and on-site events (as soon as they are possible). This means you can also register if you begin your studies in the summer semester 2021 but are still in your home country and unsure when you will arrive in Stuttgart.
Because future funding for the program is still uncertain at this moment, registration is subject to change.
Please write us an e-mail in case of questions.
- are beginning their Bachelor’s or Master’s studies at the University of Stuttgart (full-degree)
- are interested in German and other cultures
- are open to sharing their own culture and experiences
- are able to commit to a structured program (see below) and regular meetings with their mentor - an experienced student - for one semester.
Are you a non-degree student? Have a look at our buddy program ready.study.stuttgart!
- one-on-one mentoring with an experienced student for one semester
- a mentor from your study area, whenever possible
- thorough preparation of mentees and mentors
- support during the semester to ensure functioning mentoring relationships
- interesting workshops and courses taught by students for students
- a recreational program with roundtables and excursions and online activities
Just looking for events, not mentoring? Check out the events offered by our buddy program ready.study.stuttgart!
Need help during arrival and with the initial formalities? Sometimes we can match you with your mentor before you arrive. Otherwise, the buddy program ready.study.stuttgart and the orientation events of the International Office can help you during your first days in Stuttgart.
Have questions or need help with something not mentioned here? Write to firstname.lastname@example.org. The International Office is happy to help!
- Please complete the registration form.
- You will be invited to a short online meeting where we discuss your interests, needs, and expectations of the Mentoring Program.
- In a one-day introductory seminar (online, several dates to choose from) you will learn what the Intercultural Mentoring Program is about and how to make your mentoring partnership work. You will meet other participants and receive basic intercultural training.
- Get ready! Your mentor will contact you to arrange the first meeting. This usually happens around the same time that lectures start.
- The Kick-Off event, the official start of the mentoring semester, presents the courses, workshops and activities planned for the semester and concludes with a meet-up with the other mentors and mentees!
The three pillars of the Intercultural Mentoring Program
The most important pillar of the program is the one-on-one relationship between the international mentee and his/her mentor. Mentor and mentee meet at least twice a month. Mentors support their mentees with all questions touching their studies, getting oriented at the university, and social integration into life in Germany. The mentee in turn will introduce his/her mentor to his/her own culture and perspective on Germany.
The mentees take part in a one-day introduction seminar at the beginning of the semester.
The program coordinators prepare the mentors for their task in a two-day introductory seminar at the start of the semester.
During the semester, the program coordinators also serve as on-call counseling resources.
All participants receive a certificate of participation upon turning in their final report.
Workshops and courses
Every semester we offer participants of the Intercultural Mentoring Program a variety of free workshops. The workshops will be announced via e-mail.
To support the mentees regarding their language, academic and personal skills, ours mentors offer a variety of free courses (which can also be taken by mentors, of course). The courses reflect the interests, know how and knowledge of our mentors and therefore change every semester. Usually German, foreign languages and programming languages however are on offer each semester.
A varied social program with regular round table meetups, excursions, as well as sports and cultural events complement our stable of in-house events (our kick-off event, international evenings, christmas parties and many more!). This semester they be held online due to the corona pandemic.
All participants are encouraged to make suggestions and to organize events themselves.
Mentoring opens a window for knowing more people. It helps you to be more comfy in this new landMentee, winter semester 2021/22
Objectives of the Intercultural Mentoring Program
- Intercultural exchange between German and international students
- Social integration and participation of international students in university life
- Hands-on advice and support for international students
- Improvement of international students’ academic performance and German language skills
- Reduction of the drop-out rate of international students
- Volunteering opportunities
- Promoting intercultural, social, and communicative skills