We are happy that you are interested in our exchange program to South Africa!
In order to participate in one of the exchange programs, we ask you to keep in mind the following information and plan accordingly:
- Bachelor´s degree program: at the start of studies at the host institution students have to be at least in the 4th semester
- Master’s degree program: at the start of studies at the host institution students have to be at least in the 1st semester
- Participation in an information session on study abroad programs in Africa
- Participation in a one-on-one advising: please make an appointment with the Program Coordinator for Africa after the information session
The following English language certificates are accepted for the exchange program in South Africa:
- Abitur: English classes from 5th or 6th grade and at least 10 points in the Abitur examination
- University studies: at least 1 semester at a university in an English-speaking country, or being enrolled in an English-language study program at the University of Stuttgart
- Participation in an English Course at the Language Centre of the University of Stuttgart
- DAAD language certificate: at least B2 in all 3 sections
- TOEFL ibT: a minimum score of at least 79
- Academic IELTS: no section below 6.0
- Cambridge Assessment English (CAE): a minimum score of at least 169
At the host institution you will be enrolled as an exchange student (non-degree seeking). This status will give you access to most courses (usually undergraduate courses, rarely postgraduate courses, also interdisciplinary). However, you cannot acquire a degree.
- Bachelor’s and Master’s degree students will be enrolled according to their study program.
- At some universities, extending the stay with the aim of obtaining the local Master’s degree is possible on one’s own initiative and through self-financing; please check with the host university.
With the exchange program of the University of Stuttgart, you have the opportunity to study in Africa for one or two semesters without having to pay tuition fees. Every year, the partner universities of the University of Stuttgart provide a limited number of places.
You can stay abroad for
- one academic year (January to December or July to June), or
- one semester (January to June, or July to December)
The following application deadlines apply to all departments:
- July 1 for a one- or two-semester stay starting from January of the following year
- December 1 for a one- or two-semester stay starting from July of the following year
In order to give you an overview of courses at host universities that have been recognized at the University of Stuttgart, we have compiled a list for you: Overview of previously recognized courses from abroad
Please note the following:
- You can find information about the recognition procedure at the University of Stuttgart at the Examination Office.
- The list is an indication of possible recognition of courses taken abroad. The final decision lies with the respective chairmen of the examination board.
- The information on the modules is based on the feedback of former exchange students. Only the information that we receive from the students is listed, which is why the module name or course title is sometimes missing.
- This list is not final, but will be updated and extended every semester.
- If partner universities do not appear in this list, it does not mean that courses cannot be recognized. Either the university has only recently become a partner university of the University of Stuttgart or we have not received any feedback from students yet. Another possibility is that students do not receive credit for their studies at the University of Stuttgart from abroad.
- You can filter the list by clicking on the corresponding arrow symbol.
Each partner university offers exchange programs. The specifics of the partner universities are highlighted below: