Start well prepared
• Register for a Pre-departure online seminar and other events
• Read our introductory course „Get your studies off to a perfect start”
Please obtain and prepare the following things while you are still at home:
Hint: You can also transfer the money online. In this case you do not need a bank form. Students from countries outside the EU: We recommend that you transfer your contribution from your new German bank account after arrival. Thus you can avoid additional bank transaction fees.
- List of vaccination certificates, if you have one. Check at the German embassy whether you need any vaccinations.
- If you plan to drive a car in Germany you will need an international driving license.
- Should you arrive by car, please note that a Feinstaubplakette (emissions sticker) is required for your car. Further information about the conditions and how to obtain an emissions sticker is available on the websites of the Stadt Stuttgart [de] and TÜV Süd.
- Recent passport photographs (at least 6, some of them need to be biometrical)
- Medicines you might regularly need
- Some cash for your arrival
- A sleeping bag (bed linen and coverlets are not provided in the student dorms! They can however be purchased in the caretaker's office for EUR 65).
- For all electrical appliances you will need a 220 Volt adaptor
- If you have a chronic disease, please check, whether your health insurance covers the cost for your medical treatment in Germany.
Non-EU citizens need additionally:
- Passport (valid for the entire period that you will be spending in Germany)
- Visa for educational purposes or a visa for university applicants. Not a tourist visa and not an au-pair visa!
- Proof of financial resources
EU citizens need also:
- Passport or national identity card
- European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)
Planning your arrival
When planning your journey you should try to ensure that you do not arrive on the weekend or on public holidays. Banks and public administrative offices are closed from Friday afternoon until Monday morning and you will not be able to move into your student residence. Shops usually close about 8 pm on Saturday evening and they are closed all day Sundays.
Information for program students
Please read the pre-departure checklist carefully that you received by e-mail. It contains important information on things, which you need to do, prior to your departure, such as visa, housing and insurances. You didn’t receive the pre-departure checklist? Then please send us an e-mail!
In our pre-departure web-seminar you will be informed about formalities you should consider before your departure.