First steps in Stuttgart

In order to save your time, money, and frustration, please take care of all the things listed in our Welcome Checklist right after your arrival in Stuttgart.

Welcome Guide & Welcome Checklist

You can find more detailed information on the first steps in our Welcome Checklist, which you can either obtain from the International Office at the IZ or download from this page.

Download: Welcome Guide


Student dormitory

Have you applied for a student dorm and received a room offer by the Studierendenwerk Stuttgart or VSSW? And have you transferred the necessary deposit?

Before you can move in you must go to the caretaker (Hausmeister) to receive your room keys. Bring the following things with you:

  • Tenancy agreement which you have received by e-mail
  • Passport or ID

The caretaker (Hausmeister) will ask you to fill in and sign a SEPA direct debit authorization (SEPA-Lastschrift) so that the monthly rent can be debited automatically from your bank account (in case you move in a dorm managed by the VSSW you might have already done so).

If you authorise someone else to pick up your room key, this person will need an authorisation letter from you and a copy of your signed tenancy agreement from the Studierendenwerk as well as a valid passport.

Please note:

  • In all student dormitories you can only move into your room during the office hours of the respective Hausmeister. Regular office hours of the building managers (Hausmeister) are listed in the Welcome Guide or the homepage of the Studierendenwerk Stuttgart or VSSW.
  • On the first working day of each month, the Hausmeister offices in Vaihingen have extended office hours. You can find the exact times in the moving-in letter (Einzugsschreiben) which will be sent to you via e-mail.

Private accommodation

If you found accommodation on the private housing market, please check all the formalities with your land lord/land lady. 



If you have not found an accommodation in Stuttgart so far, we collected some tips and tricks for you: Information on how to find accomodation on the private housing market. 



All degree students as well as exchange students from non-EU countries are required to take out a compulsory student health insurance as prescribed by German law. All students from EU countries with a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) are exempted from this requirement as long as they do not work in Germany. 

Carrying a personal liability insurance (Haftpflichtversicherung) is not compulsory in Germany. However, we highly recommend that you purchase one. It protects you against liability for causing injury to others or damaging their property, such as a rental apartment, a laboratory, or your university institute, to include even the loss of keys, for example. These policies typically cost between EUR 30 to EUR 80 per year, depending on your family status. See our insurance page.

If you are staying in Germany for more than 90 days, you are required to register at the residents’ registrations office in your place of residence within 14 days upon arrival. After the registration you will receive a confirmation (Meldebestätigung) which you will need to open a bank account. In Stuttgart you can register at any Bürgerbüro throughout the city. The following documents must be provided:

  • Your passport or ID card
  • Registration form (Anmeldung [de]), filled out and signed, availble at the International Office or at any Bürgerbüro
  • Form Wohnungsgeberbestätigung [de] (= a confirmation that you have moved in signed by your landlord or landlady). If you live in a student dormitory, please use your moving-in letter from the Studierendenwerk.

As a non-EU citizen, you also have to apply for a residence permit

To participate in the cash-free transfer of money to pay for rent, health insurance and similar transactions, you must have a personal checking account (Girokonto). For students up to 30 years of age, these accounts are usually free of charge or low-cost at any bank.

Upon opening a checking account, you can order a bank card with which you can withdraw cash without charge 24/7 from any of your bank’s ATM locations.

You can open a personal checking account in person at a local bank or at an internet bank (=Direktbank). To open a bank account, you will need:

  • Proof of your residence registration
  • Your passport (EU: identity card) 
  • Letter of admission (Zulassungsbescheid) from the University of Stuttgart (in order to get a free or low-cost student bank account)

Usually it is possible to hand in your residence permit and your enrollment certificate of the university at a later point.

Please note that you will need an appointment if you want to open a personal checking account in person at a local bank for which you might have to wait up to three weeks. When using an internet bank you can open a bank account rather promptly. All local banks offer online banking. Additionally, you will have immediate support in person if you experience problems. 

After your arrival in Stuttgart you must enroll in person at the Admissions Office. Find the necessary steps for enrollment listed in our Welcome Checklist.

Your student ID card and the stamp validating your student ID will be sent to you by post to the address you entered in C@MPUS. In order to make sure that your student ID card will be sent to your current address in Germany, please change your address in C@MPUS as soon as you have arrived in Germany. If you do not have an address in Germany, you may enter the address of a friend to whom the student ID can be shipped.

You have to validate your student ID card. You can print out the ECUS stamp from the C@MPUS portal. 

Residence permit

As a rule, non-EU citizens have to apply for a residence permit. The document is called eAT (elektronischer Aufenthaltstitel = electronic residence permit). We strongly recommend that you apply for your eAT within the first two weeks of your arrival. The production of your eAT takes about four weeks. The foreign registration office will either send the eAT by postal mail or let you know when you can pick it up.

Important: The eAT usually consists of a chip card and the supplementary sheet. There are important data of your chip card on the supplementary sheet, e. g. the temporary residence permit. We recommend that you always carry this supplementary sheet with you as well.

Prerequisite for the enrollment at the university is your residence permit (eAT). However, your eAT is not available by the time of enrollment. Thus the foreign registration office in Stuttgart provides you with a preliminary confirmation of an authorized residence permit (Vorläufige Bescheinigung über einen bewilligten Aufenthaltstitel) after you have applied for your eAT. You will have to bring the preliminary confirmation with you for the enrollment. 

Citizens of Australia, Brazil, Canada, Japan, UK and the USA amongst others may enter Germany without a visa. Upon arrival in Germany you have to apply for a residence permit (Aufenthaltserlaubnis [de]) at your place of residence. In Stuttgart you can do so at the foreign registration office. Please consider that you need to arrange an appointment beforehand

You are a student from a country for which an entrance visa is required. So you need a student applicant visa or a student visa which has been issued by the German embassy in your home country. Upon arrival in Germany you have to apply for a residence permit (Aufenthaltserlaubnis [de]) at your place of residence. In Stuttgart you can do so at the foreign registration office. Please consider that you will need to arrange an appointment beforehand

The following documents must be provided:

  • Your passport
  • Your Meldebestätigung (confirmation of registration, only available after your successful registration with the city of Stuttgart) 
  • Letter of admission (Zulassungsbescheid) from the University of Stuttgart
  • One biometrical photo
  • Health insurance certificate (Krankenversicherungsnachweis)
  • EUR 100 handling charge – publicly funded scholarship holders, such as DAAD or IPSWaT scholars, are exempted from this charge! Exchange students need a written confirmation issued by the IZ for a waiver (you will find it in your welcome package)
  • Proof of sufficient funds (at least EUR 934 per month) e.g. a bank statement or a letter of award from a scholarship organisation

Office of public order main office (Amt für öffentliche Ordnung [de])
Eberhardstr. 39

In this building you can find:

Foreign registration office (Ausländerbehörde [de])

Office hours:
(please arrange an appointment beforehand)
Mon, Tues, Wed 8:30 a.m. until 1 p.m.
Thurs 1 p.m. until 6 p.m.
Fri 8:30 a.m. until noon

Residents’ registration office city center (Bürgerbüro Mitte [de])

Office hours:
Mon, Wed and Fri 8.30 a.m. until 1 p.m.
Tues 8.30 a.m. until noon; 2 p.m. until 4 p.m.,
Thurs 8.30 a.m. until noon; 2 p.m. until 6 p.m. 

You can also visit one of many other residents’ registration offices in Stuttgart and surroundings [de] instead of the one in the city center. For example the residents’ registration office in Vaihingen [de] at Rathausplatz 1 in 70563 Stuttgart. Or the residents’ registration office in Stuttgart West [de] at Bebelstraße 22 in 70193 Stuttgart.

You do not have your accommodation in Stuttgart?

Then you need to go to the city hall of the place of your residence. Should you have questions, please contact the International Office.

Semester and monthly passes for public transportation

You can use your Studienausweis (student ID card) to travel on all buses, Regionalzüge (regional trains), S-Bahnen (commuter trains) and the U-Bahnen (subway) in the Stuttgart region from Mon - Fri after 6 pm and all day on weekends and holidays. In order to do so, you need to download and print out the VVS semester stamp

There are two additional offers for students:

  • Monthly tickets with Verbundpass[de] are valid for a one month period starting at any time. The Verbundpass will only be valid for the zones that you specify. If you need a monthly ticket for September or March because you are participating in the intensive German course, you can get a provisional student identity card at the International Office to buy it at the student price.
  • The StudiTicketallows you to use the whole VVS transportation network without time limits and during the entire semester (October 1 to March 31 or April 1 to Sept 30).


This image shows International Office

International Office

To the top of the page