Change of study program and transfer from another university

Changing the study program, a regular semester, or the intended degree program requires a new application and admission to the new study program.

Please note:

An application for the first regular semester is only feasible for the winter semester.

If you are unsure if credits earned in your study program to date will be recognized, you should apply both for the first regular semester but also for a higher regular semester.

  • When changing the degree type in the same subject area and when switching between content-related (affinal) study programs, equivalent examination or study credits will be recognized. The decision will be made by the responsible examination board on a case-by-case basis.
  • If not accepted beforehand, the study assessment test has to be passed successfully until the beginning of classes of the fourth semester of studies. Otherwise the students‘ claim for examination expires. The chair of the examination board may approve a form for deadline extension if the student is not responsible for the missing of the deadline.
  • Students that did not conclusively pass interim, preliminary, or final exams at another university, or use up a right to examination entry for whatever reason, will not be admitted to the University of Stuttgart for that particular or a related study program.
  • Students from non-EU countries in most cases may only change the study subject or subject combination up until the end of the third semester. Otherwise, the residence permit frequently will not be extended. Please inform yourself in a timely manner with your responsible Alien Registration Office.
  • If you are receiving BAföG [de] support, you should get information about a possible extension from the responsible Financial Aid Office in a timely manner. Changing the study program after the second regular semester may result in the BaföG application being rejected.
    For more information, contact the Federal Ministry for Education and Research [de] and Stuttgart Student Services [de].

Applications are taken online at C@MPUS.

If you have allowable credits (application for a higher regular semester), choose as your entering semester the one that corresponds to where you left off with your studies. If you have none, choose the first regular semester as your entry semester.

Upload the following documents directly in the application portal:

  • Certification of a subject counseling session [de] (if you already have been enrolled for three or more semesters at a university in Germany and want to change your subject)
  • Evidence of participation at an orientation program: An application for a teaching degree requires a certification of participation in the Career Counseling for Teachers program (CCT) [de], all other applications only need proof if your are applying for at least one subject for the first regular semester.
  • Evidence of the study and exam credits earned to date (credits and grades transcript)
  • Copy of the University Entrance Qualification (Abitur)
  • When applying for a study program requiring an entrance examination: such other documents and evidence as needed for the entrance examination
  • Applying for the sports science study program (teaching degree): Evidence of the passed/recognized Sports Entrance Examination is only required at the time of enrollment.
  • For study programs that require you to complete a mandatory pre-study internship: certificates of approval for pre-study internships issued by the relevant internship office at the University of Stuttgart (providing this already exists).

Please be absolutely sure to read the Selection Criteria and the Admission Statutes and upload the required evidence and documentation.

Foreign students (non-EU citizens), please become familiar with the Application Information for Foreign Students.

  • If you wish to change your study program in your third semester at university, or later, then you must discuss this with an academic advisor (in German: Fachstudienberatung) (§ 60 Abs. 2 Nr. 5 LHG).
  • Therefore, to enroll on a new course, you must upload the written confirmation to C@MPUS that you have seen an academic advisor.
  • Please print out the written confirmation of subject-specific counseling and ask your academic advisor for the study program you wish to change to, to sign it. In this case, the written confirmation also serves as proof that you have completed the orientation procedure.

Confirmation of subject-specific counseling [de]

When applying for a higher semester for a study program with restricted entry (numerus clausus = NC), if you meet the following special requirements you can improve your chances for admission by filing a hardship application (PDF) [de]:

  • Officially classified as severely disabled (according to SGB IX). Please attach a notarized copy of the ID for the severely disabled or the relevant recognition of disability letter.
  • Only apartment or principal residence with a spouse and/or children in an area assigned to the place of study. Please enclose the certificate from the responsible registration office.
  • Admission to another university would have substantial adverse consequences. Given consideration here in particular are your health, family, or financial circumstances as well as academic grounds. Please enclose the relevant documents and be aware that strict standards are applied in these cases.

Please note that for study programs with entrance examinations, all applicants must take the entrance examination, even when changing from another study program.

In addition, the following applies:

  • The criteria for the entrance examination differ among the various study programs. They are listed in the Selection Criteria and Admissions Regulations.
  • Most of the study programs administer the entrance examination just once a year in the winter semester. Therefore, in the summer semester in the respective Bachelor’s study programs, there is no (or a very limited) possibility of admission to a higher regular semester.


This image shows Student Counseling Center

Student Counseling Center


Application, Admission, Enrollment

  • Further information
  • Your points of contact for application, admission and enrollment on Bachelor's and Master's study programs.
To the top of the page