The Cross Cultural Mentoring Program is designed to help you with questions about
- your studies
- the University
- life in Germany
- German language and culture
Other students accompany and support mentees for an entire semester as personal mentors. The mentoring program helps you make friends and also offers:
- a fascinating workshop on life in Germany with intercultural training content (mandatory for participation)
- extra courses on various topics offered by mentors
- a leisure time program with reserved pub tables, excursions, cultural and sports activities
We are looking forward to meeting you!
Signing up as a mentee for the summer term 2019 is only available for the waiting list. If you have any questions, please send an E-mail.
… interested international students who
- plan to complete their entire Bachelor’s or Master’s studies at the University of Stuttgart (full-time program)
- are just beginning their studies or are experiencing difficulties studying (higher semesters also qualify)
- have time to meet at least twice a month with the mentor
- are interested in meeting people from other cultures
- have time for a one-day introductory workshop and the social program
- a mentor who will be there for you during an entire semester to help with any questions
- the chance to speak lots of German and understand it better
- the chance to get to know German culture intensively
- an enjoyable introductory workshop with intercultural training content
- other interesting workshops
- free classes (in German grammar and conversation, Java, Matlab, CAD, athletics, and music)
- a great leisure time program
- certificate of participation or certificate of intercultural competence and internationality
- Quickly accustomed to the University of Stuttgart
- Support for all questions on how to organize your studies
- Help with courses
- Integration into German society and life in Stuttgart
- New friends throughout Germany and the world
- Active participation in a cool university program
- The chance to do volunteer work
- Intercultural, communications and social skills
- Learning about new cultures and point of views
- Reflecting on your own culture
Registration for the winter semester 2018/19 is not available anymore. The registration period for the Summer term begins in February/march 2019.
For registration, please fill in the online form. Afterwards, you will be provided with an appointment offer for a short interview. Additionally to the preparation, the attendance in an one-day orientation workshop is mandatory. You find the dates in the registration form.
The three pillars of the Cross Cultural Mentoring Program
The most important pillar of the program is the one-on-one relationship between the international mentee and his/her mentor. Mentor and mentee meet at least twice a month. Mentors support their mentees with all questions touching their studies, getting oriented at the University, and social integration into life in Germany. The mentee in turn will introduce his/her mentor to his/her own culture and perspective on Germany.
The mentees take part in a one-day introduction seminar at the beginning of the semester.
The program coordinators prepare the mentors for their task in a two-day introductory seminar at the start of the semester.
During the semester, the program coordinators also serve as on-call counseling resources.
The mentoring activity counts as an interdisciplinary key skill (social competence) with three credit points toward the mentor’s studies. It also increases mentors’ chances of gaining a place to study abroad.
All mentors receive a certificate of participation upon turning in their final report.
Every semester we offer participants of the Cross Cultural Mentoring Program a variety of free workshops.
To support the mentees regarding their language, academic and personal skills, ours mentors offer a variety of free courses (which can also be taken by mentors, of course). The courses reflect the interests, know how and knowledge of our mentors and therefore change every semester. Usually German, foreign languages and programming languages however are on offer each semester.
Summer Semester 2019
Course application is now possible. Courses start Monday, April 29th.
Vegetarian Cooking Group, 05:30 pm THIS COURSE IS FULL!
Bouldering for Beginners, 05:00 pm
German Conversation I, 06:00 - 07:30 pm
German Grammar, 05:30 - 07:00 pm
Programming in C, 06:00 - 07:30 pm
Photography, 03:45 - 05:15 pm
German Conversation II, 05:30 - 07:00 pm
Creative Watercolour Painting, 07:00 - 08:00 pm
Free Hand Drawing, 03:30 - 05:30 pm
Programming in Python, 06:00 - 07:30 pm THIS COURSE IS FULL!
Mentoring Band - Everybody Speaks Music, 07:00 - 08:30 pm
A varied social program with regular round table meetups, excursions, as well as sports and cultural events complement our stable of in-house events (our kick-off event, international evenings, christmas parties and many more!).
All participants are encouraged to make suggestions and to organize events themselves.
Objectives of the Cross Cultural Mentoring Program
- Intercultural exchange between German and international students
- Social integration and participation of international students in university life
- Hands-on advice and support for international students
- Improvement of international students’ academic performance and German language skills
- Reduction of the drop-out rate of international students
- Volunteering opportunities
- Promoting intercultural, social, and communicative skills